Benjamin Mendy’s rape accuser ‘was on a WhatsApp group called Sunday Shlaggs with another alleged victim who shared a holiday and 25 nights in a year with her and said he wanted to sue Manchester City’
- One of Manchester City star Benjamin Mendy’s accusers ‘planned to sue the club’
- He was in a ‘Sunday Shlagggs’ WhatsApp group with another complainant
- The women ‘were on holiday together and had sex 25 times in one year’
- Details emerged at Chester Crown Court yesterday during the arraignment
- Mendy denies eight counts of rape, one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault
The alleged victim of a sexual assault by Premier League star Benjamin Mendy was planning to sue Manchester City, a court heard yesterday.
The woman was in a WhatsApp group called ‘Sunday Shlagggs’ with another complainant who claimed she was raped three times by the City star.
The details were revealed at Chester Crown Court yesterday, where the alleged triple rape victim was cross-examined by Mendy’s defense barrister, Eleanor Laws QC.
The woman told jurors she was raped three times in a 15-minute attack in a locked room at Mendy’s £4.8m mansion in Prestbury, Cheshire, in October 2020.
She was questioned about her claim to police that she had met the other complainant, who claims she was sexually assaulted by Mendy in January 2021, only once.
But Ms Laws said they were in a WhatsApp group, went on holiday together and went out for dinner and drinks 25 times in a year.
Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy arrives at Chester Crown Court charged with eight counts of rape, one count of sexual assault and one count of attempted rape relating to seven young women.
The lawyer said the woman was “trying to minimize” how well she knew the other complainant, who had reported her allegation to police two days after the WhatsApp messages were exchanged.
Ms Laws asked: “You know she wanted to sue Manchester City for what had happened to her. She claims Mr Mendy had grabbed her groin over her clothes.’
The witness replied: “I don’t remember.”
He added: “I did not know about her allegations, other than the fact that she had been sexually assaulted. When I heard that I felt awful. I took two months off work.’
The complainant admitted that in the two weeks between her alleged assault and her report to the police, she asked friends to take notes of her allegations.
She said: “I wanted to be clear because it was two weeks after that night. I wasn’t myself and I was really struggling, so I wanted to be clear. I felt like I was in a foggy state, so I wanted someone to take notes just to be sure.”
“It was really hard with the stress, the trauma and the shame.”
Ms Laws suggested: ‘At the time, in early November, you had convinced yourself that you really were the victim in all this. You convinced yourself that Mr Mendy had done something wrong instead of something that was completely consensual.’
The woman replied: “I am absolutely sure of what happened. I did not give consent at any point. I didn’t have to convince myself.’
Co-accused Louis Saha Matturie outside Chester Crown Court where he is on trial alongside Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy
She was asked if she remembered telling her mother that she was fighting Maddy and that she was screaming when she said in her evidence that she had not screamed.
The woman said: “I didn’t scream, no.”
Mrs Laws said: When you’re in a corner, you lie, don’t you? You started lying and exaggerating to your friends, didn’t you? ‘
The woman said, “Absolutely not.”
Ms Laws: “What happened in that room with Mr Mendy with you drinking is that you did things that you regretted and were embarrassed about the next day.”
She replied, “Absolutely not.”
Mendy, 28, denies eight counts of raping five women, one count of attempted rape and one count of sexual assault.
His co-accused and alleged “fitter” Louis Saha Matturie, 41, of Eccles, Greater Manchester, denies eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assault.
The trial continues.